During the Covid-19 crisis, BLL has been fully operational and we have been advising and representing clients, sometimes at short notice, in cases in our specialist areas of practice. Amongst other work, in recent times:
- On instruction from a leading US law firm in London, Jonathan Fisher QC advised on money laundering issues arising during a mergers and acquisition case.
- Jonathan Fisher QC, instructed by a leading firm of accountants, advised on source of funds issues relating to a prospective client under the Proceeds of Crime legislation.
- On instruction from a top 100 firm of solicitors, Jonathan Fisher QC advised on money laundering issues arising on the acquisition of mixed commercial and residential property, and the application of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1987.
- Jonathan Fisher QC delivered an anti-money laundering professional training session to accountants specialising in tax cases and their clients who are establishing business as a crypto asset exchange provider.
- Anita Clifford advised a firm of property consultants on the impact of the Money Laundering Regulations 2019, with reference to the expanded definition of a person connected with the giving of tax advice.
- In cash forfeiture proceedings, Rachel Clark represented a client seeking to assert third party ownership rights to the property.
- Rachel Clark has assisted Jonathan Fisher QC in the representation of a client who has been designated under OFAC sanctions.
- Rachel Clark has assisted Jonathan Fisher QC in a review of anti-money laundering, anti-bribery and anti-tax evasion policies and procedures for a company specialising in the acquisition of high value collectibles on behalf of their clients. Anita Clifford also provided case support.
- Ariana Caines assisted Anita Clifford in the preparation of advice in a case where the client seeks to have his conviction quashed for an insolvency offence out of time.
Jonathan Fisher QC and Anita Clifford are ranked by the independent law directory, Legal 500, as leading barristers in Proceeds of Crime cases.
BLL wishes our clients, colleagues and their friends and family good health and fortitude in these challenging times. BLL’s barristers specialise in advising and representing clients in financial crime, money laundering and economic sanctions cases.
BLL is authorised by the Bar Standards Board for professional referral and direct public access cases.